January Fish of the Month: Farmed Rainbow Trout
Your seafood choices can have a big impact on the health of our oceans and lakes—so make sure they’re positive ones! Every month, Shedd’s Right Bite team highlights a sustainable seafood item as our Fish of the Month. January’s pick is farmed rainbow trout, and we have a delicious recipe for smoked rainbow trout frittata that's perfect for warming up on those blustery winter days.
Smoked Rainbow Trout Frittata
Serves 4 to 6
2 tbs butter
½ lb. smoked trout, flaked
2 scallions, thinly sliced, or ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
6-8 asparagus spears, chopped
2 tbsp capers
1 tbsp fresh dill
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Beat eggs by hand using whisk; season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet on medium heat.
3. Sautee scallions or onion for a few minutes, then add the asparagus.
4. Add flaked trout and capers. Add remaining butter to pan, and pour in eggs.
5. Quickly distribute ingredients throughout egg mixture, tipping pan to allowing eggs to run underneath to cook.
6. Turn heat to medium-low; cover and allow eggs to fully set, or put under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, until top is lightly browned.
7. Serve with breakfast potatoes or a side salad.
—Kara Kotwas, Shedd Aquarium's Right Bite Team